Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How long does it take to heal from childhood abuse?

Today a friend of mine asked me a question and I have been thinking about it all day...

While watching TV my friend leaned over and whispered in my ear a question... How long does it take for someone to heal from something traumatic like childhood abuse?  

As a survivor of childhood abuse I am burdened with flashbacks and dissociation. It is extremely difficult to deal with flashbacks especially when it happens in the presence of friends and family. Far to many times have I startled friends and family with flashbacks. If they know nothing about what I went through then they don't know what is going on. I have learned that it is best to tell my close friends about flashbacks even if I don't tell them exactly what has happened. I am still healing and it is very difficult for me to tell people about my past. My past shames me and I fear others will see that too. This question my friend asked came from me explaining that I had an abusive childhood and that sometimes my senses sense something that takes me back in time to a terrible memory without any warning. I have learned some of my triggers but even when I think there can't possibly another trigger, there is. Learning to cope with flashbacks is part of the healing process. As for her question, I don't know how long the healing process takes. I suspect the healing process will be a life long process. November makes 9 years since the abuse stopped and I have healing slowing since then. I have hope that as time passes I will keep healing, little by little my wounds will heal and fade away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment